MOUNTAIN BIKE TEAM - REIMBURSEMENT SCHOLARSHIP
The Mountain Bike Team Reimbursement Scholarship is a need-based scholarships awarded to families that meet all eligibility requirements.
This scholarship will reimburse a portion of fees affiliated with your team fees and competition fees, such as race registration fees, race lodging, travel and more. To view a more detailed breakdown of reimbursable competition expenses, view the FAQ below.
Families can be reimbursed 20%, 40% or 75% of their total team and competition fees depending on family income level.
In order to complete the application for the Mountain Bike Team Reimbursement Scholarship, families will need to provide the following pieces of information/documents:
- A current invoice from Mammoth Mountain showing your total team fees
- The total cost spent on competition fees during the 2022 season
- A breakdown of each individual expense paid for each competition, for example, race registration fees, lodging, mileage
- Receipts for each individual expense submitted
- Please Note: No receipt needed for gas/fuel as we use the federal standard mileage rate based on miles traveled for each race
- Current year 1040 tax forms showing family's Adjusted Gross Income
- Previous year 1040 tax forms showing family's Adjusted Gross Income
- Student/athlete most recent report card from the current year.
In order to be eligible to receive a reimbursement through this scholarship, families will need to meet the following eligibility
- Student/athlete must be a current member of the Mammoth Mountain Bike Team
- Student/athlete must be enrolled in school, ages K-12
- Family must have purchased a MMCF Membership during the current calendar year
- Student/athlete must have at least a 2.75 GPA
Opens - Saturday, October 1
Closes - Friday, November 4
Review Begins - Monday, November 7
Reimbursement Distribution - starts Monday, November 28
SCHOLARSHIP FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Your private information and our suggestion around keeping it safe.
While Smarter Select (our application platform) is very secure, we do not recommend including your sensitive personal data in any documentation you provide us. Per example, in your tax forms, we recommend you either screen shot the page(s) needed or black out your SSN.
I have more than one student/athlete, can I submit multiple applications?
Yes, you can submit as many individual applications as you wish from your account - please be sure to submit a new application for each athlete.
Can I come back to the application and finish it later?
Yes, once you open an application for this award you can come back into your application and work on it as you need until the deadline. Your application will be saved in your account and listed under your "My Applications" menu.
How much reimbursement will my family receive?
Scholarship amounts are determined by your family's adjusted gross income and the amount spent on team fees and competitions. For example, families in the 40% reimbursement bracket will receive scholarships that cover 40% of what families paid for team fees and competitions.
$56,000 - $97,000
$97,000 - $162,400
$162,400 - $181,000
20% for families of 5+
Which competition/team expenses are reimbursable?
MMCF will review every expense you submit to determine if it is eligible for reimbursement.
- Fees paid to MMSST for annual Mountain Bike Team registration
- Competition entry fees
- Airline tickets to/from competition destinations
- Airline baggage fees for competition travel
- Miles driven to and from competition including your start location and end location, for example start in Mammoth Lakes, CA and end in Reno, NV. 336 miles.
- Shuttles or trains to/from competition destinations
- Lodging for the duration of competition
Non Reimbursable Expenses:
- Membership fees for NICA PitZone
- Transportation fees within a competition destination (i.e. ubers, bus tickets, gas costs between lodging and the mountain)
- Family or friends traveling with an athlete
- Extra lodging before or after competition dates
- Luxury hotels or luxury Airbnbs (note: we understand that some families will split a large airbnb to save money - these will be approved on a case-by-case basis)
- Airline ticket add-ons such as seat upgrades
What counts as a receipt?
In order for documentation to qualify as a receipt, it must include confirmation of payment, name of business/organization paid to, expense type, and total amount paid, MMCF will accept digital copies of paper receipts, digital copies of shuttle/train tickets, competition registration confirmation emails, flight confirmations, and lodging confirmations.
MMCF will not accept a bank or credit card statement as proof of payment.
Please note - your receipts need to be in PDF, JPG, or JPEG format to be able to upload them in the online application.
What if I lost my receipts for some of my expenses?
If you are missing receipts for registration fees, we recommend reaching out to the organization that hosted the competition to receive proof of registration and payment. For airline or lodging receipts, we recommend reaching out to the company and asking for a copy of the receipt. Please make sure you have plenty of time to ask before the application deadline.
Why are receipts so important?
In order to receive a reimbursement scholarship, we are buying your receipts from you. By doing it this way, we protect you from having a tax liability on the award. Without your receipts, we cannot legally give you a scholarship. Credit card statements do not count as receipts.
Is there a limit on scholarship size?
The Mountain Bike Reimbursement Scholarships are capped at $3,500.
Does MMCF provide reimbursement for family travel?
No. If parents travel with their children to competitions, non-competitor expenses will not be reimbursed. Please only submit expenses related to athlete travel/competition fees.
Does MMCF only reimburse for certain types of competitions?
MMCF provides reimbursement for all mountain bike competitions, regardless of race or competition status.